15 Minutes Could Save You 15% or More

That? That's some GEICO pride right there.
Three years ago today, Chris began working at GEICO. (Yes, all five letters are supposed to be capitalized. Kind of annoying, isn’t it?) Let me just say this: I heart GEICO. Three years ago, Chris got his fair share of crap for taking the job. “You want to work in insurance? And the ‘low-cost provider’ company nonetheless? And isn’t their HQ building that 1950s-style eyesore in downtown Friendship Heights? And won’t you have to give up your posh window office on Pennsylvania Avenue?” As Chris patiently explained, it wasn’t insurance he was excited about; it was kind of analyses he’d get to do. Yes, GEICO is the “low-cost provider”—a company trait that kept him more than gainfully employed when the recession hit. And yes, the building is hideous. But parking is only $7/month for employees (frickin’ unheard of in the DC area) and is ideally located in the middle of some of the best shopping and restaurants the Mid-Atlantic has to offer. And did I mention he works about 1 mile from my office building—can you say “carpool”? And yes, he had to give up the fancy Pennsylvania Avenue office. He won’t lie—that one hurt. But folks aren’t questioning the move to GEICO anymore. Here’s why: Chris was lucky. He joined a team of young, enthusiastic nerds who took immense joy in tracking the building’s temperature fluctuations and growing their precious avocado tree from somebody’s discarded pit. In time, it was recognized that Chris had the brain and the work ethic to do extremely good work. He became the lead of his team in June 2008 and got his first taste of management.
Although I’m biased (I’m married to the guy) and although I don’t work for him (can you imagine?), I know that he’s an top-notch manager. Chris is fair and his team is loyal. And every once in awhile, he shows up with cupcakes. (Okay, that last one might be my small contribution to Team Nerd, but I believe cupcakes are natural workplace morale boosters.) This past winter, we learned that Chris had been nominated for management training. He got in (that’s my guy!) and so devoted a hellishly long, intensive week to the training. He was the youngest, least-tenured person there. (It was also during this week that I discovered I was pregnant. Wisely, I did not distract him with the news and kept it to myself for a whole week. It almost killed me.) This summer, certain things were restructured in Chris’s department and my sweet husband was promoted again. He now manages several analytic teams, totaling around 14 or 15 nerds. (And, for the record, I lovingly, not derogatorily, use the term “nerd.” Nerds are my favorite type of people.)
I know this post sounds like a huge brag fest, but what can I say? I am so unbelievably proud of him. I’ve watched him go from a college student who used his parents’ credit card, um, a lot, to an unemployed college graduate, to an entry-level operations analyst at a high-tech trade association working for very small salary but still putting $$ in savings (I like to think I played a part in his newfound frugality), to where he is now. I always, always knew that Chris was special in how he thinks, analyzes, and works. I’m so glad that GEICO sees that specialness too. Finally, all of these promotions and accolades he has received have been very nice. But in the last year, when my organization was going through layoffs, our retirement accounts and investments reached shocking new lows, the condo lost some value, and the entire country seemed like it was on the brink of financial ruin, GEICO grew. As Americans tightened their spending, they started looking for less expensive insurance. We could not have asked for a better, more stable company than GEICO for Chris to be working at during this economic turmoil. So that is why I heart GEICO. And one of the many, many, many reasons why I love my nerdy GEICO employee. And to celebrate his 3-year anniversary (just kidding—Chris needs to look like a team player in this “cash for quotes” program they’ve got going on), folks can call GEICO (1-800-342-9070) to get a quote on any type of insurance (e.g., auto, renter’s, homeowner’s, motorcycle) and give his ID number (127707) at the beginning of the call. You’ll get cheaper insurance (if you opt to switch), Chris will get $15 (regardless of whether or not you switch), and Chris will buy you a drink or two with that $15 the next time he sees you. He promises. He made me post that little commercial. I swear. It was the only way he’d agree to let me post this blog entry in the first place.

Comments

Popular Posts