Hole-y Moley

The hole.
The permits for the house were released about a week ago--apparently our little house set a record with the developer! Now, how a 2-month-long permit process sets a record is beyond me, but whatever. We're on schedule and that's what's most important.
They broke ground this week and excavated, and we are now the proud owners of a beautiful hole. They did the footings yesterday and plan to start forming the foundation walls tomorrow. We've had a lot of rain in the last couple of days, so that might affect the timing a bit.
On an totally separate note, I had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday in which I learned that although I passed my glucose test, I apparently only BARELY passed it. So the doctor told me to significantly cut down on sugar and carbohydrates. I'll do it, of course, but I'm not happy about it. I mean, I live for carbs. Mashed potatoes and pasta are the world's most perfect foods. I'm not a big vegetable person and red meat has sort of turned me off ever since I got pregnant (although I kept eating it for the iron). But Chris, bless his heart, has made it his mission to ensure that I hit the caloric bar I'm supposed to hit (how do I do that without carbs?) and has planned out dinners that are low in everything "bad" and high in everything "good."
It's a bit of a bummer to have to give up a significant amount of sugar during Christmastime. I mean, I have like 14 different kinds of cookies and other sweets that I have to make for various purposes, not to mention all the other desserts and holiday baking that I'm going to be exposed to! Oh, well. The important thing is that I don't have gestational diabetes, so I'm flying under the "high-risk pregnancy" radar, which would have led to way more meddling by the docs.
Finally, Tuesday's appointment was with one of the "back-up doctors" who might be on call when Charlotte decides to grace us with her presence. He wasn't terrible, but I didn't love him, and he seemed sort of accusatory when he measured my stomach and whatnot, telling me rather curtly that I was measuring too small. What am I supposed to do? I can't make my uterus grow bigger, buddy. Then he looked at the sonogram measurements from 2 weeks ago and acknowledged that our girl was in the 50th percentile, which is just right. So he sort of took his comment back. I know I'm being too sensitive, but my regular doctor thinks my ability to "hide" this baby girl in my not terribly huge body is a hoot. This dude made it seem like I was doing something wrong.
At any rate, all is well on the house front and the baby front. Christmas preparations are in full swing and the days are flying by! February is going to be here before we know it.

Comments

Popular Posts