Chris and Charlotte: On Their Own

Each of Charlotte's outfits have been planned for the week.
I’m preparing to leave for a short trip to Orlando for work. And although I trust Chris (really, I do), I feel compelled to over-plan. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the one (one!) time I let Chris pick out clothes for Charlotte and dress her, she arrived in my arms wearing loud floral-printed leggings with a primly pastel polka-dotted top and socks that matched neither shirt nor pants. I felt as though Stacey and Clinton from “What Not To Wear” were going to descend on our house and snatch away my baby for a makeover. So, based on the weather forecast for the next few days, I’ve planned out each of Charlotte’s outfits for the rest of this week, including back-ups. (Much that is gross and liquid can occur during the morning routine.) I considered picking out pajamas as well, but I figured that would just be insulting to my darling husband. Besides, why deny him the joy of selecting the oh-so cute frog sleeper? I’ve stocked the freezer with breast milk (glamorous, I know), and each pouch is labeled with its amount (it expands when it freezes, so you can’t just eyeball it). Charlotte’s cubby at school has been restocked with extra diapers, wipes, and back-up clothes (it’s amazing how often we pick her up in the evening to find her wearing clothes different than what I dressed her in that morning). All that’s left is actually putting together the bottles, which you really can’t do too far ahead of time. My #1 girl and my #1 guy? They’ll be fine. In fact, I’m kind of shocked at how little I’m needed, what with the invention of the breast pump and all. Freeing? Yes. A little insulting? Sort of.

Comments

Popular Posts