Doubled Up

Well, my big girl is getting bigger! As you might know, Charlotte has been sleeping on her crib mattress on the floor for many months. Now, we’re moving her into a double/full-sized bed. See, she transitioned from crib to freedom with shocking ease. Charlotte stays put on her bed, even if she’s peeved about going down for a nap. She’ll occasionally roll off, but it’s rare. Our biggest problem is that Charlotte is an incredibly active sleeper and kicks off her covers. Fortunately, fleece jammies carry her through to morning most of the time, but I suspect the really cold weather will cause a lot of late-night, Mommy-I’m-cold wake-ups.

In the meantime, Mommy and Daddy decided that we were tired of feeling like stiff old people every morning, so we’ve invested in a new Tempur-Pedic, king-sized bed. This had always been the long-term plan, as our bedroom is really designed for a king-sized bed (we currently have a queen) and we knew Charlotte wouldn’t be sleeping on a crib mattress forever. A queen seemed like a tad too much for a toddler or little girl, but with all family members on the West Coast, keeping multiple guest beds on hand is necessary.

So, we bought the new bed, which required new furniture: bed and nightstands. I had no problem with our old furniture, but a queen bed simply cannot hold a king mattress. And, well, not that our current nightstands ever matched our bed in the first place, but the fancy new ones actually will. We had been eyeing them forever, we desperately needed nightstands in the guest rooms (which is where our old ones will go—well, I might put one in Charlotte’s room), and THEN THEY WENT ON SALE. Like, WAY on sale.

Which means. We need to move the double bed from the kid #2/guest bedroom into Charlotte’s room so we can move the queen bed in the OTHER guest bedroom into it, so we can move our current bed plus furniture into the room. In other words, move the blue room furniture to the pink room to allow the yellow room furniture into the blue room to allow the brown room furniture into the yellow room to allow the new Tempur-Pedic and furniture into the brown room. Crystal clear, eh? Well, just trust me then.

In short, Charlotte is getting the double bed. I’m ridiculously excited—there’s something just so little girl about it. The mattress is very high, so we’ll just put it on the floor, probably sans box spring, for the time being. Why no toddler bed? I’ve never loved the idea of toddler beds, as they just seem like another temporary yet expensive item to buy. We bought Charlotte’s new bed initially to serve extra guests (sometimes we have two sets of guests staying here at a time), fully intending it to become hers. Thus, we bought a good one to last her until college. (I don’t like to buy things multiple times. Except table linens.)
Now, you might ask, why rush the double bed for Charlotte? If you need to make room, put one of the beds in the craft (green) room.

Ha! Let me remind you that it is Christmastime. And I have 1,432 projects currently going on in that room, not to mention it’s also the official gift-wrapping/gift-storing/box-packing-to-send-West room. Santa’s workshop, if you will. No room. Pathetic, but true. Second, I don’t think we’re rushing. Frankly, Charlotte could use more room to wiggle around in at night.

Now, for the fun stuff. With new beds come new bed linens. Chris, predictably, was shocked that you can’t get non-sandpaper king-sized sheets for $12.99. After looking at Macys, Costco, Bed Bath and Beyond, JC Penney, Crate and Barrel, Bloomingdales, and even Nordstrom and Restoration Hardware, we found a perfect set at TARGET. (I love Target. I. LOVE. TARGET.) The perfect burnt-orange color, a high thread count, non-sateen (Chris is weirdly anti-sateen), and for waaaaaay less than most other places. And in the meantime, I picked up a $30 set of snowflake flannel sheets at Target that TOTALLY CLASH with our duvet, but I don’t care. I love whimsical flannel.

So, I was feeling pretty proud of myself and my economical sheet-buying after the big expenses of the new mattress and furniture. But after a quick perusing through my linen closet, it occurred to me: I have ONE set of sheets for the double bed. One. Something tells me that having a single set of sheets for a child who is mere months away from potty training is a massive problem. So now I get to find another set of sheets—this time for a little girl!

Oh, I’m so excited. I love crap like this. (Can you tell?) My mom is making Charlotte a quilt for her bed (we picked out fabric when she was here in October), so we’ll probably just wing it with blankets until it’s done.

So, Mums? How’s that quilt coming?

Comments

Popular Posts