Hofmann Girls

So, when folks ask me what we’re going to name our littlest girl, and I tell them she’ll be named Lorelei, people (exclusively women) often say, “Oh! Like Gilmore Girls?”


Yes and no. Fear not, I’m not offended in the LEAST when Gilmore Girls is brought up. It’s one of my most favorite shows ever. EVER. I mean, the writing is just so, so good. Remember when Rory agrees to come out as a debutante to appease her grandmother? Lorelai (note the INCORRECT spelling—I’ll bitch about that in a second) sighs and says, “Well, you’ll need a dowry,” and plops a small ceramic cow in front Rory. Brilliance.

And Rory’s graduation scene? From Chilton? I cry every single time I watch it. Every. Single. Time. In fact, I’m choking up just thinking about it. Granted, it doesn’t take much these days, but still. The “thanks, Mom” during her valedictorian speech? Ohmygoodness. Mommy–daughter perfection.

And honestly, like many nerdy girls out there, I soooo identified with Rory. She’s just so neurotic, always has to travel with a book (and a back-up book, in case she’s not really in the mood for Book A), was determined to go to a good college, is a chronic list-maker, and she graduated high school as the Biggest Virgin in the Whole Wide World.

I joked with Chris that we should play up the Gilmore Girls thing, and rename this blog “Hofmann Girls.” The problem? Lack of alliteration. You need the double G sound. The other problem? Chris. He’s a dude. Not a girl. Granted, he’s the main man in all three of his girls’ lives, which I think he believes makes him something akin to KING, but we’re gonna keep the current name of the blog as it is.

Back to Gilmore Girls. I have two issues with this great show. First, when Rory goes off to Yale, she comes home, or Lorelai visits her, constantly. Granted, I’m one of those old fuddy-duddies who thinks college is a time to become independent and learn to cope with life challenges such as public washing machines and dryers that burn your clothes, but hey. That’s just me. It sort of felt like Lorelai raised this spectacular kid who never quite cut the cord—until (thank goodness) the very last episode.

Says the biased girl who lives a couple thousand miles from home.

My second quibble? WHY OH WHY DO THEY MISSPELL LORELEI? If you Google the name spelled the Gilmore Girl way (with an “ai” at the end), 90% of what comes up is the TV show. Why? Because it’s WRONG.

I get why they named her character Lorelei (I’m reverting to the CORRECT spelling for the rest of this post). As I explained in my why-we’re-naming-our-daughter-Lorelei post, the name means, for all intents and purposes, MANEATER. And, well, that pretty much fits that Gilmore girl’s character.

But why the misspelling? Did the correct spelling seem too Germanic? If so, that’s a pretty lame-o reason. I mean, it’s not like her name was Adolph.

So, for the future of my child’s pretty name, especially since her last name will inevitably get misspelled constantly (one F, two Ns!), I’m on a quest to promote the correct spelling of Lorelei:
L-O-R-E-L-E-I.

Finally, is anybody else watching Bunheads, the new show by Amy Sherman-Palladino (producer of Gilmore Girls)? Of the little dance school on the Coast? Lordy. We watched the opening credits, with those sassy little tendus and snarkily swiveling bunheads, and Chris said, “Holy crap. This show is perfect for you.” I can’t say that it’s on par with Gilmore Girls (at least not yet). I think the main character might not be the best casting decision, and super scrawny Sasha is a better dancer than actress, but I’m SO digging this new show.

Comments

  1. I'm holding my breath for bunheads...did you notice the surfer bar keep is LOGAN'S dad?? Weird. I have high hopes, but its got a lot to live up too. Maybe Lorelai's name is spelled that way because its a family name and the years of incest caused spelling trouble that first generation. Good name choice for your upcoming little though :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts