Snow Day! Sort of.

Watching the snow fall. And yes, that's a Cinderella dress on top of fleece pajamas.

Charlotte named her snowman "Frosty," with its two eyes made out of . . . prunes.

Frosty is a Seahwaks fan.

Lorelei and Mommy stayed inside, toasty and dry.
In what our DC area called "Snowquester," we all prepared for one hell of a snow storm to arrive on Wednesday. The federal government closed ahead of time, along with all the schools, the girls' day care, and pretty much everything else.

Alas, in DC, lack of cold enough air made our snowfall heavy and slushy, which prevented it from reaching the 8 to 10 inches we were hoping for.

However, we were already home for the day, telecommuting and hanging with our kiddos.

Chris--and many, many others--was utterly peeved at the lack of record-setting March snow. I didn't really mind. A midweek break from routine was nice. Days and days cooped up with the kids and driving on sanded roads and debating the safety of going into daycare and work? Eh, I could live without it.

The other thing was this: I really, really enjoyed having all four of us at home. Obviously, we had no commute or stressful morning routine. Instead, Charlotte and I ate hot oatmeal together and watched the snow fall while Lorelei napped and Chris handled a call for work. We had no errands to run, or church to get all pretty and out the door on time for. Instead, we all stayed in our pajamas until noon. The few inches of snow we got was still pretty, and Charlotte had a ball playing in it. For Lorelei's feedings, I didn't have to pump or time her feedings with errands and naps. It was totally a nursing-on-demand sort of day, the way I suspect nature intended. More importantly, this meant fewer bottles and no pumping parts to wash and sanitize.

Lorelei napped very poorly, but she NEEDED to get a solid nap under her belt (onesie?), otherwise she wouldn't sleep worth crap that night (oh, a post on Lorelei's erratic sleeping shall be forthcoming, I assure you), so I let her nap in my arms for two hours in the afternoon. I loved it. (I just adore that littlest girl.)

Meanwhile, we closed out the night with cocktails and Chris declaring, "What a bust!" I just laughed. I'm not a particularly positive person, but I didn't think the day had been a bust at all. We received a midweek breather, a surprise day to spend as a family, an opportunity for Lorelei snuggles and making Charlotte's first snowman.

And now that it's all done? Yeah, now I think I'm ready for spring.

Comments

Popular Posts