Pancakes and Planes

Despite it being summer, we have been busy, busy, busy. And we haven't even gone on vacation yet! Wait. Maybe that's WHY it seems just as hectic as the rest of the year.

Work has, of course, been extremely busy for me, so I feel like I'm always running a million miles per hour, and then my at-home checklist is oh so very long. I'm perpetually cramming in everything I have to do. I live and die by to-do lists.

Chris is about as busy as usual (meaning, busy) at work, and Charlotte has had her fun-filled days at school, followed by swim lessons every Saturday morning.

Lorelei? Well, let's just say our fair Lorelei has the most room in her schedule at the moment, though we do have to plan every single errand around her napping and feeding schedules.

We recently finished a week of Vacation Bible School (insert relieved sigh HERE). I forgot how much work VBS is! And I only went over to the church on one night! This year, due to it being ILLEGAL to leave a baby home alone, even if she's sleeping, Chris took the brunt of the VBS hands-on work and I did more of the the behind-the-scenes stuff--prepping crafts, making Bible stories kid-friendly, and so on. Considering his demands at work that week and the whopping 8 minutes we had after getting home from work and gathering that night's VBS stuff while I fed Charlotte a fast dinner so they could get to the church (which, mercifully, is 2 minutes away) by 6:30 . . . . I was rather awed by him. It makes for a very long week--the constant night-after-night nature of it plus no prep time because of work meant we had to have everything for which we were responsible for VBS done by Sunday night. Once we hit GO, there was no stopping. Fortunately, Chris had major help from several saints at the church, thank goodness. Chris can run meetings like a pro, but classroom management? Not so much.

But this past weekend, for the first time in, say, 5 months or so, Charlotte had no gymnastics or swim lessons in the morning and no birthday parties in the afternoon. (We DID have a neighborhood block party-slash-picnic late morning, but still.) So, we watched a movie and colored and played with dolls and started teaching her how to use the computer with some Disney games. We then realized that on Sunday, we were totally clear on the volunteer schedule (and there's no Sunday school during summer, which Chris and Charlotte do). We decided to take a breather and just hang out together for a lazy Sunday morning, the first in a long, long time.

I gave Lorelei her morning bottle, perched on the couch so I could watch Charlotte and Chris make pancakes. She so very carefully poured the ingredients and stirred with the whisk. "I'm helping Daddy make pancakes!" she proudly announced, a grin plastered on her face the whole time. And you know what? I think I was even more proud. I could see what a fantastic, special, and lively girl she was growing up to be, and dang. I was just so freaking PROUD!

This smiley girl made our pancakes.

Meanwhile, I looked down at my sweet Lorelei chugging her bottle, gazing at me with her giant bluish eyes that look nothing like Charlotte's but are equally as stunning. I loved my little family so much, I thought I'd burst.

Later that day, Chris and Charlotte went on a special daddy-daughter date to go see Planes (this was her second movie theater movie and now knew the special-ness of the theater experience, so she was SO excited for about 4 days leading up to her big date with her main man). Chris loved getting to take her somewhere special, and it's nice that she's old enough to actually DO things like movies rather than just being a cute little ball of work, as infants and young toddlers are. After, Chris took her to get frozen yogurt (we fib and tell her it's ice cream) with the sprinkles and all that. They ate outside in a cute little courtyard. In my imagination, Charlotte's legs swing to and fro from a bench as she eats, but I wasn't actually there.

Daddy-daughter date.

Meanwhile, Lorelei and I went on a mommy-Lorelei date to Target. Nothing too out of the ordinary there, but it WAS nice having some one-on-one time with Lorelei. I love that baby girl so much, I can't believe there was ever a time she wasn't part of our little family.

So, really, I just posted a whole blog about how we did . . . nothing! Well, a busy sort of nothingness, I guess. Whatever it was, it was awesome.

Comments

Popular Posts