The Rush

Oh, 'tis the season of rush rush rush. We have now entered THE most critical weeks for me work-wise, and there have been some challenges. Significant ones. But that's work. Amazingly, folks are keeping smiles plastered on their faces. Our mantra? It'll be fine. It'll be fine. It'll be fine.

I'm optimistic that so long as I don't get sick, everything will be FINE.

And frankly, everyone making an effort to be civil and even NICE despite being stressed is crucial. If you're a jerk at work while stressed, stop it. Just STOP IT.

So, I make my to do lists and try to cross out as much as possible. I'm moving a smidge slower this week (like, physically), as I have about one trillion stitches on my stomach and leg (exaggerate much, Ashley?). The kids forget, and we've had some painful moments. Bending over is tricky, so I stalled on laundry for a day. That was probably a mistake, and I'll be digging out all weekend.

All challenges, major and minor. But ultimately minor, because we're actually decently equipped to tackle them. Technically.

I am looking forward to our mini vacay in Chicago in about a month, though. Chris and me. No children, after I finish the big fat work conference. Basically what we did in Nashville last year.

Seriously, mountains were moved this week. It was stressful. Facing a deadline and increasing problems and then looking at the clock and realizing it's time to pick up Charlotte from the bus, it's time to take her to her violin lesson, what are we having for dinner? why is Emma licking her paw--is something wrong, should she go to the vet, WHEN could I possibly take her? Somehow, everything got crammed in. Granted, I was working until quite late to accomplish said cramming, but hey. That's March. Oh, and  I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with the dog.

Don't laugh, but I'm actually pretty proud of myself that I didn't burst into frustrated tears even once this whole long week. I'll wait while you applaud. 

In short, I'm feeling rather accomplished. And oh so ready for the weekend.

What are we reading? That's, you know, NOT work-related?


 I picked up the most recent Maggie and Bramble book for Charlotte at the library, and she loooooved it. The Maggie and Bramble books, about a girl and her horse, are PERFECT for Charlotte's reading level. Highly and brightly illustrated and longish, with chapters. Charlotte loves books with chapters, sticking in her homemade bookmark (colored by her with rainbows--she even made me one) when it's time to stop. The sentences are simple, but the stories have depth. Also, Charlotte gets a kick out of the heroine, Maggie, sharing the same name as her beloved cousin. I can't recommend these books highly enough, but unfortunately there are only three books in the series so far. Number 4 is due out in November!

We also continue to read Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer as our long book (i.e., novel). Or, as my girls call it, "the chicken book."

Lorelei tagged along on part of the Maggie and Bramble ride (with big sis reading aloud to her) and A Pocket for Corduroy has recently struck her fancy. This is the same 1978 classic, and the copy we're reading is the copy my brother and I had as young kids back in the early eighties. It's trippy, re-reading the books I grew up on. I still blame Tyler for the torn pages or spill marks.

Over the weekend, I finished Cunningham's By Nightfall, which I really liked. I'm currently ready A Lantern in Her Hand, a classic story set on the Nebraska prairie. I'm heading to South Dakota next month (NATURALLY) with the girls, so I may as well get out my bonnet and butter churn and get in the mood. The copy I have from the library has the WORST cover ever. It's looks like a cheesy romance. Chris kind of judged me for reading it. I responded, a tad defensively, "It was published in 1928! It's still in print! IT HAS SUBSTANCE!"

I started Greenglass House by Kate Milford, my MG novel du jour. So far, it's charming.


I'm also reading Emma Straub's Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures, a tale of an actress's life during the Hollywood glory days. Overall, I like it. Something is missing, though. I want a bit more atmosphere and detail. More of what makes a time period FEEL like Beverly Hills in the 1950s. Places are mentioned, but there's not a strong sense of them, except perhaps the movie lots and Wisconsin, her childhood home. As someone who ADORES Southern California, I'm sort of miffed by this. I mean, how do you have a scene at the Hollywood Bowl and have it be so bland? Of course, the Hollywood Bowl is one of my favorite places on earth. So maybe I'm being critical.

Comments

Popular Posts