Charlotte–Mommy Day

"Mommy! You're gonna need your handbag today!"
"What did we buy again? Oooooh. Pretty!" "If I eat the receipt, Daddy can't make us return it."

Today was Presidents’ Day, so Charlotte’s school was closed, along with my office. Chris grumpily went to work, poor thing, leaving his womenfolk to fend for themselves. I decided to make today into Charlotte–Mommy Day, which means we spent the WHOLE DAY just being mommy and daughter.

After A LOT of playing and a morning nap, my little girl and I trekked to Nordstrom in search of The Perfect Easter Dress. I take the Easter Dress VERY seriously. Growing up, I LOVED picking out my Easter dress. I was a very girly girl, and my mom still has some of my dresses. And considering I grew up in the 80s, these dresses are surprisingly darling. I loved last year’s dress, Charlotte’s first Easter dress. It was pale green linen with a smocked front and tiny pink rosebuds on the front.

I was recently asked if I was going to buy Charlotte a frilly dress for this Easter. “Oh no,” I replied. “Frilly, lacy, ruffly Easter dresses are such a cliché. And they usually involve polyester.” Nope, nothing so sickeningly over-the-top for my baby (sorry, TODDLER) girl. Besides, Charlotte is not a dainty, frilly girl. She’s a bold, sassy girl. She tackles the big kids. As her teacher said, “Charlotte knows exactly what she wants, and she’s not afraid to go get it.” Even if there’s a 5-year-old in her way.

So, we perused the children’s section at Nordstrom. We pretty much instantly narrowed the choice down to two SUPER CUTE dresses. I held them up in front of Charlotte, and talked about each one to her. It was quite the quandary. I adored both. “You look like you’re having trouble deciding,” said the clerk, who I swear HAD TO BE a model. She was like 3 feet taller than me and 1,000 times prettier. And so stinkin’ nice, so I couldn’t even hate her. “I am,” I admitted. I held up a navy blue and white one. “See, I LOVE this. It’s classic and timeless, but it has an ever so slightly modern edge to it.” Then I held up a hot pink, black, and white dress. “And this one is just plain sassy.” The clerk laughed. She probably had to, because she was trying to make the sale and get me and my beast of a stroller to clear out of her small department. “Well,” she said, “The blue and white one is a bit more popular—probably because it has a very classic look.” I nodded. I had no doubt. I loved the blue one. It’s exactly what I’d pick out for Charlotte. Hmmmm. Do they make pearl necklaces for toddlers? But. This was Charlotte’s dress.

“You’re going to think I’m loony,” I told the clerk, “but I feel like the pink, black, and white one better fits my girl’s personality. I mean, do you think it’s possible for a 13-month-old to have her own sense of style?” The clerk didn’t hesitate to become my fashion therapist. “Sure.” Still. How I loved that navy-and-white dress. After an embarrassing amount of deliberating, I bought them both, muttering to Charlotte my mother’s famous words that I heard more than once at a cash register: “Your father doesn’t need to know about this.” Paying full retail at Nordstrom for TWO Easter dresses is not my brightest financial moment. Yet I have no regrets. I still don’t know which one Charlotte will wear on April 24, but she’ll wear Dress B at some point, too. Right? Maybe I should plan another party.

After shopping, Charlotte and I decided to be Ladies Who Lunch because, well, we were hungry. We had lunch at the Nordstrom Café and then hit a couple more stores (none of which were Macy’s because I’m boycotting them for all of 2011, but that’s a post for another day). My girl was a perky, happy shopper the whole time! She swung her little mary-janed feet to and fro as she sat back in her stroller with an arm up on either side of it like it was her throne. (She doesn’t like the little tray thing to be in front of her, so she truly looks like the Queen of freaking Sheba as she goes through Baby Gap.)

At home, we had playtime, dinner, and a bath. Daddy got home in time to read her a story, and immediately my tired, shopped-out girl fell asleep. I love Charlotte-Mommy days. Strolling along and having her turn around in her stroller and flash me a giant toothy grin with happy, sparkling eyes as if to say “Isn’t this FUN, Mommy?!” is the very best feeling. I absolutely adore being that girl’s mommy.

Comments

Popular Posts