Mommy’s Separation Anxiety

Phew. After an insane January, a more insane February, and an insanely insane March, I can proudly announce that all my books were sent to press in time for our annual conference next week.

This year was a particularly brutal conference season for us, but now that the icky part is done, I feel relieved and quite proud. Mountains moved, my friends. Mountains freaking moved.

Next week, I’m off to Philadelphia to sell the crap out of our books, pursue some acquisitions, and MISS my little girl. Chris will be single-parenting it while I’m gone—4 days, 3 nights. I’m sure he’ll do great (but I’ll plan Charlotte’s outfits for the week, anyway—bad things happen when Daddy uses his own judgment to dress that girl).

Due to school and Chris’s trips for work, Charlotte already knows that when Mommy and Daddy leave, they always come back. Still, I’ve never been apart from her for longer than one night, and I’m very worried that, after a couple days, she’ll worry that Mommy is not coming back. She’ll probably be fine, but the possibility hurts to think about.

For last year’s conference in Orlando, I attended for only about 18 hours. Although I had a lot of fun, I was still nursing and thus spent an absurd amount of time in my hotel room, bonding with my stupid Medela pump and concocting all sorts of mechanisms to keep that liquid gold cold until I could return to Maryland. And do you know what kind of torture a delayed flight causes when you’re still breastfeeding, the pumping equipment is in a checked bag (with the liquid gold, which can’t come though security sans infant), and YOU HAVE NO BABY? It’s mighty uncomfortable, believe me.

(How did this turn into yet another post on why breastfeeding is overrated?)

Anyhoo, I’m just going to miss Charlotte. I can’t wait to pick her up out of the crib in the morning, or gather her at school at the end of the day. Four days without my girl? It won’t be easy, but hopefully I’ll be too busy to notice much.

Hopefully.

Comments

Popular Posts