In the Bleak Midwinter

They don't call it the BLEAK midwinter for nothing, eh?

February has always been my least favorite month of the year, with the possible exception of 8th grade, when we went on a cruise to Mexico. It's a dismal month, full of gloom and cold, with yuletide joy way in the past.

Of course, it's still January. But I'm already dreading February, because I'm super positive like that.

Anyhoo, reality is setting in now. My mom flew home Sunday, and we are now, officially, totally on our own. Like, for real. This week's child care is pretty much a mish-mash of my benevolent boss letting me be oh so creative with my work schedule, my motherly ability to multitask to an insane degree (telecommuting plus Lorelei lovin'), and Chris taking a vacation day on Wednesday.

Have I mentioned a thousand times yet that Lorelei begins real school (daycare) on Friday?

In the meantime, I'm very grateful for my employer's flexibility. Chris's Job Creator is about as flexible as a steel rod.

So, Friday, everything begins FOR REAL. Chris and I have mutually agreed that we need to SIT DOWN and THOROUGHLY DISCUSS how we're going to make our new, real schedule work: the daily routine, carpooling vs. screwing the environment, telecommuting schedules, nursing (I'm not sure how much longer I'll manage being Lorelei's sole source of nutrition--though I'm not above the occasional bottle of formula), lunch prep, dinners, clean-up, kids' baths, and so on.

The fact that we haven't managed, despite our best intentions, to carve out 30 minutes for this super important discussion does not bode well. But at least we're on the same page, agreeing that we NEED to talk, right?

Until we find our newest groove, we'll just approach the bleak midwinter with realistic expectations, warm clothes, and as much flexibility as we can muster. Happy almost-February!

Comments

Popular Posts