Adaptation

Wow. The outpouring of love for my mom has been overwhelming (in a good way). Thank you. Being on the East Coast has me oh so very antsy, and though I've come one click away from booking a Seattle-bound plane many, many times in the past week, I'm reminded that Mums has oodles of people and support. It's not just me, fretting a few thousand miles away.

I'll update as Mums permits, but please know that although each update will be vetted by her, I can really only write with any honesty from my own perspective and lens. I refuse to put words in her mouth and I can't adequately articulate HER experience, so I'd encourage folks to reach out to Mums herself to get the most accurate read on what's going on, how she's feeling (emotionally, physically), and so on.

In the midst of my mom's cancer drama, life does go on. We Opps are adapting to the news, and while we do, the girls have started and are adapting at their new school. And hey, even Emma is adapting to life at chez Hofmann.

I find myself distracted. Like, constantly. Trying to read a book that I actually believe is good and otherwise absorbing is sort of . . . hard. My mind is elsewhere.

Thank goodness for kids and work. Each holds my attention better than books or TV, and each gives me the plodding sense of moving forward and time well spent.

My fingers are itching to blog, and I have nada to blog about, except perhaps some updates on the more daily grind types of things. So, if you're up for a post on boring stuff, here goes.

The girls' first week at their new school has gone pretty well. Day 1 was fantastic, Day 2 was pretty good, Day 3 was okay, and . . .  Lorelei has gotten increasingly clingy at drop off as the days go by. We knew Lorelei would be our more challenging adjustment. I do think the new routine is benefiting her, as she's mellowing out a bit more (at least on a Lorelei scale) at home in the mornings and evenings, which tells me that the loosening of the schedule and the ridding of the long car rides to and from Potomac have addressed some of her tension. I'm seeing more smiles and hearing more giggles. We'll give it more time.

Charlotte has adjusted well, but she's starting to realize that her old school is history. She misses her friends, she's irritated that she's doing much more writing practice (something I FULLY support--I've noticed improvement in her handwriting over one week!) and schoolwork, and she complained that they "never" get to do housekeeping (i.e., play house). That was her favorite activity at the old school, so I get it. But hey, she has to adapt.

Academically, I sense the new school is stronger in preparing Charlotte for kindergarten. As much as I loved the old school, I was irritated by how handwriting was taught (some pretty significant flaws, in my non-schoolteacher opinion), and the kids had a tad too much free time to play and socialize (both valuable, but kindergarten DOES start next year). So, after one week, although there are adjustments for both kiddos, I am pleased.

And the dog? Oh, Emma. Emma, Emma, Emma. I'm thrilled to report that it appears that Emma was house-trained in her previous life. Aside from the tummy upset a few weeks ago, she has had no accidents. She as proven herself trustworthy, so we no longer close the door on her crate at night--we'll be buying her a regular dog bed shortly. I also don't crate her if I need to leave the house--I just let her roam. So far, so good. Emma has warmed up to us and follows me from room to room throughout the day, napping (and snoring) on a small bed in the office while I work, or hanging with me in our bedroom if I'm working on the laptop in my PJs. (Remember, I'm telecommuting full-time right now.) I've really enjoyed her company, and she forces me to actually leave the house for her long midday walk during my lunch hour. She is SO STUBBORN and is a master at manipulating her harness and leash to avoid going where she doesn't want to go (like, back home), but she's a happy, contented dog. I love her.

The other day, I was giving her lots of doggie love, baby-talking to her in that annoying way dog owners talk and petting and snuggling her. For the first time, she wrapped her paw around my arm and started gently licking the top of my hand---doggie kisses! I felt like we had reached a whole new level in our dog--human relationship, almost a new degree of intimacy. You know how in Pretty Woman, Julia Roberts won't kiss her clients because it's too intimate? I think those licks were Emma's ultimate show of love. And yes, I'm aware that I just compared my beagle to a hooker.

I do feel that we lucked out with Emma and I'm so glad she's ours. She misses being with other dogs (I can tell, because she joyfully prances and wags her tail after meeting one on our walks), so next week, I'm going into the office (to pick up some stuff and see actual people) for the day, and I'm dropping her at a farm for doggie daycare. I think she'll have a ball---friendly dogs to hang with and a giant fenced area to run leash-free! I'll probably have to drag her home. Per usual.

So, that's the latest as we enjoy the crisp(er) autumn days, football season (go Hawks), and the promise of Halloween, our wedding anniversary, Thanksgiving, and Christmas coming. My favorite time of year.

Comments

Popular Posts