More Nocturnal Chitchat

As mentioned in a previous post, Chris talks and occasionally walks in his sleep. Two nights ago, he sat up in bed with that telltale cluelessness that suggests he’s not actually conscious. (Whenever I think he’s in that in-between stage between true sleep and wakefulness, I make sure I know what state he’s in, seeing as how I have a terrible fear of him thinking he’s diving into a pool when he’s really jumping off our eighth-floor balcony. Morbid? Yes. But a wee bit of vigilance seems wise, methinks.) Like I’ve said, Chris has recently thrown me off the sleep-talking/sleep-walking trail by being pleasant (he’s typically quite cranky when he’s not really awake) in his chatty slumber. So when he stirred and opened his eyes, I asked, “Are you asleep or awake?” He looked right at me. “Sorry, I don’t have any classes scheduled then,” he replied. Alrighty. Then last night, I woke up and saw him leaning over his side of the bed, digging through the 6.8 billion magazines on the floor. “Are you asleep or awake, love?” “I spilled!” he responded, hoisting himself back up on the bed. “Spilled what?” I asked. Chris shook his head. “I spilled.” Obviously nothing had actually spilled on the floor. “That’s okay,” I replied, ready to go back to sleep. “It will be gone by morning.” This seemed to satisfy him, but then he chose to keep the conversation going. “So how was your date?” he asked. I cracked up. My date? My date? “Sweetie, who on earth do you think I’m dating?” I asked. “And furthermore, when would I find time to date this mystery man?” Chris started laughing too, still totally asleep. “Yeah, I know,” he said. Finally, we got quiet and I prepared once more to go back to sleep. Chris gave one final flip of his pillow, presumably to do the same. “So,” he said groggily as he faded off, “how was it?”

Comments

Popular Posts