The Walk-Through

(Almost) home sweet home!

Chris's bitchin' Wolf range.

My double dishwashers. Hey, Chris got the range, I got the second dishwasher.
Today we had the final walk-through for the house. (Well, technically next Tuesday is the SUPER final walk-through, but that consists of a quick look around about an hour before settlement.) Our house is beautiful. I’m biased, seeing as how I picked out 99% of it, but still. It’s lovely. The pictures above show chez Hofmann from a few weeks ago (not today’s walk-through). For once, Chris didn’t bring his camera today. Why? “Because after next Tuesday at 11:00 a.m., we can take all the pictures we want!” he said. ‘Tis true. We close on the house next Tuesday. More importantly, WE MOVE on Wednesday. Today Charlotte puked on the ugly apartment carpet, and I congratulated her. I’m so, so ready to move out of here. At the house, it was unreal, walking through each spotless, brand new room, carrying my baby girl. This is our house? OUR house? This is the floor where Charlotte will learn to walk, and this is the window she’ll try to sneak out of as a teenager? (Chris, however, has designed the security system so that she’ll fail.) This is the mantle where I’ll hang my kids’ Christmas stockings, and this is the door where I’ll hang a wreath? This is the kitchen island where Charlotte and I will decorate cupcakes, and this is the tub where she’ll splash around for bath time? Throughout the building process, I’ve referred to this house as our “grown-up house,”—that is, the house that screams mortgage, carpools, block parties, and, well, plain old responsibility. But when I think of all the milestones that are bound to occur here, perhaps “growing-up house” is a better title?

Comments

Popular Posts