But It's Just an Ear Infection

I’m so tired I could cry.

Amazingly, I haven’t yet.

Charlotte has her first ear infection of the season, which you would think is no big deal (I mean, it’s just an ear infection), but HOLY MOLEY.

This girl is SICK.

And is it just me, or does every single little illness with her turn into a saga?

Yesterday morning, Charlotte woke up with a 103-degree temperature. She appeared to be trying to rip her ear off, so it didn’t take a genius to figure out that she had an ear infection. I stayed home, took her to the pediatrician, and yep, ear infection. Quite a nasty one, apparently.

Her fever kept spiking in between ibuprofen doses, and was a 104 by the time Chris got home. I’m certain it would’ve gone higher, but This Mommy medicates. I know, I know. Kids and high fevers go together. But when your child is shaking, she’s so hot that you feel like you’re cuddling a sunburn, and she’s disoriented and crying, you give the kid some relief, and you don't go the au naturale route.

And then we began the longest night ever. As we entered her room to give her the 10:00 dose (otherwise she keeps sleeping as her fever climbs and climbs, which terrifies me), Chris took her temperature with the forehead thermometer.

“Holy [bad word]!” he cried. “106!”

I ripped Charlotte’s blanket off her and woke her up while Chris ran to Charlotte’s bathroom.

“Where’s the rectal thermometer?” he yelled. I could hear him trashing the previously well-organized drawers. “Maybe the reading is wrong—maybe she was sleeping on that side of her head and it’s extra hot!”

“I took it to North Carolina!” I cried, cursing myself. “IT DIED WHILE WE WERE THERE, REMEMBER?!”

“We need a normal thermometer! Forehead thermometers aren’t accurate enough!”

“I KNOW!” I didn’t bother reminding him that his excessive temperature-taking in North Carolina was what killed the back-up thermometer in the first place.

At this point, Charlotte was crying and miserable. I was 60 seconds from throwing the kid in the car and heading for the hospital. Chris took her temperature again and again. Finally, 104 degrees. And that, for the first time that day, seemed low.

We gave her more ibuprofen, but she continued to cry and moan. Finally, I scooped her up, put her in the guest bedroom bed, and climbed in next to her.

That at least calmed the crying. Of course, I didn’t sleep at all, as I kept checking her forehead and listened to her labored breathing. Every 2 hours, Chris came in to check her temperature. He had set his alarm to wake up every 2 hours, fearful that her temperature would climb without us realizing it.

At 5:30 a.m., it was time for me to get up and get ready for work. As I slipped out of bed and Chris slipped in to take my spot, Charlotte realized I was leaving. She began to cry and moan “Mama!” and I almost slit my wrists. I’m told she quieted soon after, though, and Daddy took care of her all day while I went to work. I had a busy, crucial day ahead of me. Too bad I hadn’t slept.

I got to work by 7:45 and managed to not fall asleep behind the wheel as I nursed my precious coffee.

Work was insane and rushed and nutty, but I managed to escape during my lunch hour to buy a new thermometer, grape baby Tylenol, and cherry baby Tylenol at Safeway. Oh, and some diet Pepsi for a caffeine boost and a yuppie Odwalla fruit smoothie for an immune system/blood sugar/calorie boost. (I always lose weight when Charlotte is sick, and lack of real food + sleep deprivation + being used as Charlotte’s personal Kleenex = the only combination of events that get me sick.)

Back in the office, I got the crucial things done that needed to be done. I don’t know how, but I did. I was out of there by 2:45 and on my way home to my sick girl and “when-can-you-leave-work???” guy.

At home, Charlotte and I snuggled in our Mommy–Charlotte way, Daddy took a much-needed break, and another dose of antibiotics was given to Charlotte (with much kicking and screaming, of course).

Tonight her fever hit 105, which concerns me. She’s sleeping now. I’ll stay home with her tomorrow (Friday), and I’m taking the day off (i.e., NO TELECOMMUTING), so I’m looking forward to caring for her without the burden of checking/keeping up with work email and keeping projects moving. (Relieved sigh.) I'll be in touch with her pediatrician--we might move to a stronger antibiotic.

Hopefully tonight will be smoother, but it's looking doubtful. I’ll move her to the guest bed again and sleep beside her.

All this drama . . . for an ear infection. Sheesh.

Comments

  1. Having a sick kid is no fun. Thinking of you guys and hoping Charlotte's fever goes down and that you all recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts