Waiting

Nope, no baby yet.

I had a doctor’s appointment today, and she burst into my room and said, “HOW ARE YOU STILL PREGNANT?”

“I don’t know!” I whined.

She did the exam, and lo and behold, after 3 weeks of useless yet irritating contractions, we finally had some progress from the big preterm jump-start. “Let’s schedule your induction for next Tuesday,” she said, “But I don’t think you’ll make it through the weekend.”

Well, after 3 weeks of “THIS BABY COULD COME AT ANY TIME!” I was pretty skeptical about that statement. Of course, this was the first documented progress since the preterm labor and delivery hoopla, so she might be right. She has a medical degree and all.

My doctor told me what to expect next Tuesday (with another caveat that we might not make it to Tuesday), and then she said, “Remind me how your daughter’s birth went?”

“Totally straightforward," I said. "Contractions that got stronger and closer together followed by actual birth, at 39 weeks.”

My OB laughed. “Wow. That’s completely textbook. So this one must be driving you crazy!”

You have no idea.

“Well, let’s schedule for Tuesday," she continued. "It will be fun!”

 Ha.

“But really,” she said. “I can see you going as early as tonight. I just don’t think you’ll make it to Tuesday. But you know if we don’t schedule it, you’ll be walking around for another 2 weeks, waiting for this baby.”

Oh, I know.

Contractions continue, again with no pattern, but I refuse to time them. I’ve put my maternity leave to relatively good use, making wholesome foods to freeze and catching up on sleep with a daily nap. Don’t judge—Charlotte’s potty training is interfering with everyone’s sleep (long story) and I have to hit the bathroom three times per night. That said, I HAVE TO rest up before Lorelei gets here. I'm determined to avoid a repeat of the Charlotte sleeplessness. In large part because I spent a night birthing Charlotte at the end of a looooong work week, I started motherhood SO FAR in the sleep-deprivation hole. I’m trying to be more physically ready this time.  
 
So, that's the latest!

Comments

Popular Posts