80th Birthday

Chris's parents
Chris's toast View of Lake Tahoe from the restaurant
As I contemplated what other family-related stuff to post, I felt sort of bummed that my brother’s wedding and my father-in-law’s 80th birthday have already come and gone. But then I thought, what the heck? I can retroactively post whatever I want!
So, on July 19, a bunch of Chris’s family and friends gathered at Lake Tahoe to celebrate his dear dad’s birthday. Bill’s comment on the hullaballoo? “I guess I’m one year closer to golfing my age.” And not too surprisingly, the guy had shot an 85 the week before his 80th birthday.
A very good time was had by all. Family members and friends gave touching (and often hilarious) speeches. Chris’s made me cry. Why? Oh, maybe it was the line: “As my dad taught me all these different things growing up, I never realized until now that what he was teaching me was how to be a good father. And now that I’m going to be a father, that’s something I appreciate now more than ever.” All in all, the party was such a fabulous celebration of a truly remarkable guy. I’m thrilled to pieces to know that Chris grew up with such great parents.

Comments

Popular Posts